My friend Natalie (hi Natalie!) sent me this recipe a few weeks ago and I have mentioned it casually on Facebook or during random conversations only to met my by the same reaction every time:
"I need this recipe, IMMEDIATELY!"
Something about Nutella seems to get everyone worked up into a lather, and I have to say, I finally understand. Can you believe I had never tried Nutella until I made this for the first time? My life is forever changed and I say that without even a hint of hyperbole. The problem is I bought the two pack in Costco and now every time I pass the cupboard where it is stored I have to use absolutely every ounce of strength I have to not grab a spoon from the drawer below and dive in.
I mostly look like this when I walk around the house now. The situation is getting slightly out of hand.
I've been avoiding sugar, flour and other refined grains since August of last year so this is definitely a treat for me, and hopefully now it can be a treat for you!
Gooey Nutella Banana Bread
My comments in italics below
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 heaping cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray. (I used a 9x5). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda & salt.
3. In a separate large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, milk and vanilla. Beat until blended.
4. Add flour mixture, beat at low speed just until flour is incorporated (don’t over mix).
5. Spoon Nutella into a small dish and soften in the microwave for about 15 seconds. (Eat a spoonful out of the jar.) Add 1 cup of the banana bread batter to the Nutella and stir until blended well. Spoon Nutella batter alternately with plain banana bread batter into the prepared pan. Swirl batters together with a knife.
5. Bake 50 to 60 minutes (I did about 65 minutes) it will seem a tiny bit undercooked but that’s what makes it good. Cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
*Then, experience true bliss for the first time.