I don't know what you do for fun, but I like to cook things and sometimes inspiration strikes at weird times.
Maybe I need some more morning friendly hobbies, I don't know. Matt Lauer just doesn't do it for my like my Le Creuset.
All I know is if I could find a job where all I did was cook, read, drink coffee, and sometimes watch bad reality television in the morning but free in the afternoon, well -- I would be an EXCEEDS Employee. Excuse me while I go update my LinkedIn Profile.
Anyway, today I made some chili and it occurred to me that I need to share this chili recipe here because:
1. It is Easy -- so easy you can sleepwalk through it at 5am and have lunch ready by 6am! 2. It is Very Customizable and Packs some Major Vegetable Punch in One Pot-- flexible with the ingredients you have on hand, and efficient.
3. It is Delicious.
That is quite the trifecta, I think -- so here we go.
Holly's Famous to Dozens Chili
The Basic Ingredients
Your Favorite Oil to coat the pan
1 Large Onion
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
3-4 Carrots, chopped
1-2 zucchini, chopped
1-2 yellow squash, chopped
1 LB Ground Beef or Turkey
2 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Paprika
1-2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (depending on how spicy you like it!)
1.5 tsp Cumin
Some Cayenne if you feel really spicy -- I rarely do, but Garrett LOVES it
Salt & Pepper, OBVIOUSLY
Other Liquid Stuff
1 Can Diced Tomatoes with liquid (the 14 ish oz kind)
1 14 oz Can Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Broth (chicken/beef depending on what meat you used)
1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
The Final Ingredients
2 Peppers (any color) diced
1 Can Beans (whatever you have on hand, if going Paleo, leave them out)
Corn Chips (if you are feeling really crazy!)
- Dice all your Basic Ingredients (minus the meat) and get them cooking in your favorite oil. Salt and Pepper generously.
- Add the meat and let it cook up a bit. Salt and Pepper generously.
- Add The Spices, and give it a good stir. It will start to actually look chili-like. Weird.
- Add the Other Liquid Stuff and bring to a boil. Lower heat, then cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes
- Add The Final Ingredients and cook with the lid off for about 10 more minutes
- Serve with Toppings!
That last part is the best part, you know.