October 20, 2008

Definitely NOT "Light" but Incredibly Delicious!

So this weekend I had my mom and my aunt Yvonne over to say thank you for being so incredibly helpful over the last two weeks with moving and my birthday party. (PS -- living alone -- still loving it! I can have people over whenever I want and not feel like I need to ask anyone's permission. LOVE!) So they came out Friday afternoon and that night I decided I wanted to cook some potato soup. This is one of my favorite comfort foods, and since we were going to be relaxing and watching a movie and stuff, I thought it would be the perfect dish.

I googled some recipes and found this one (which, truth be told, appealed to me because it had twice the bacon as the other recipes I found, what can I say?) and seriously, I am still dreaming about it. It was so easy and delicious! so I thought I would put it out there in case you all are looking for an easy soup to make on a chilly night in the future.

SO GOOD!!!!!

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients
8-10 slices of bacon, diced
4 TBS unsalted butter
1/2 Cup diced celery (I used 1 Cup, and I think you could add a similar amount of carrots and that would be delicious)
1 Cup diced onion (yellow, white, red...whatever you have on hand)
8 Green onions, sliced thinly (green and white parts)
1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Half and Half
4 large baking potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked in the microwave for about 4 minutes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz. Sour Cream
8 oz. Shredded Sharp Cheddar

Instructions
In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp.
Remove bacon to paper towels leaving about 2 TBS of bacon drippings in the pan.
Add the butter, chopped onion, and celery and cook until vegetables are tender (5-10 mins).
Stir in the sliced green onion and flour until blended into a paste consistency.
Stir in chicken broth; cover and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thickened and vegetables are very tender (another 5-10 minutes).
Stir in half-and-half, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, and cheese. Continue cooking until cheese is melted.
Add sour cream.
Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is hot.
Serve the soup garnished with bacon and additional sliced green onion, if desired.
(Also, my suggestion -- CROUTONS!)

To. Die. For.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails