March 18, 2010

Prioritizing Nothing

This week has felt incredibly busy!
Shower.
Work.
Gym/Meeting/Social Activity.
Cook Dinner.
Eat Dinner.
Shower.
Dishes.
Straighten Up The House/Laundry.
Check Email.
Write.
Read Until I Fall Asleep.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
(And no, I don’t shower twice everyday, just the days I go to the gym.)


Catching up with some friends in these last couple of weeks has prompted me to answer the “What's new?” question, and I always seem to end up responding with a broken record version of “I’ve been soooo busy lately.” After reading this bit of perspective the other day I’m actually kind of horrified when I think of how often I say this without event thinking about it.

"Busy" is totally a cult.


Now granted, this week HAS been busy or at least full and I have definitely felt pulled in many directions. But when I look at that list up there, I’m comforted at least in how it reflects my priorities. But I definitely have been feeling a little “time poor” for the last few weeks and I want to get that under control. I have many times reiterated Berkun's stand on the concept of "I don't have time for..." because we all totally make time for the things that are important to us.  It's not about how much time I have versus the time you have, because we all have the same finite amount.  It's about where that task ranks given the context of that time.  I love to have lots of fulfilling things going on in my life, and I love to make goals and take the time to make progress towards achieving them, but I'm starting to think that I am flawed in not ranking General Decompression up a little higher.  Berkun brings up a great point when he says



It’s the ability to pause, reflect, and relax, to let the mind wander, that’s perhaps the true sign of mastery, for when the mind returns it’s often sharper and more efficient, but most important happier than it was before.

Um, can I get an Amen on that!


Someone remind me who recently wrote that we are human beings and not human doings? Because I have totally forgetten, but whoever they are, they are brilliant!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Fantastic insight Holly. I relate to this more than I want to admit. I don't have time to exercise, but I have plenty of time to take photos, tweet, read blogs, watch 30 Rock and on and on... It's a boils down to personal choice.

Human being not human doing. Genius.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails