November 09, 2006

I Vote Treats, not Tricks

So Garrett was going to be working late on Halloween so for me it was going to be like any other night. Sure I would see cute little ones in costumes trick-or-treating on my drive home from work, but living in an apartment these days definitely eliminates the demand for Costco bags full of candy waiting eagerly to hear the doorbell. I was pleasantly surprised when Garrett's meeting was cancelled, and being that he actually lives in a home in the 'burbs, I got to experience some genuine trick-or-treaters. They were all so cute, though the volume of kids walking about was definitely different then when I was young.

Feeling festive and excited that I was going to get to celebrate a holiday (c'mon you know I'm a super geek for that kind of stuff) I came up with an appropriate dinner menu that fit the occasion perfectly. Everything turned out great, and noshing on candy while we waited was great, but I have to say the star of the evening was the following recipe for pumkin soup! You might be thinking that it sounds gross, but I am not kidding it was a most delicious and spicy delight that I can't believe I have never served before (but most certainly will serve again):

2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
3 Cups Vegetable Stock
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 (15 oz) can black beans drained
2 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 Cup heavy cream
1 TBS red curry powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Coarse Salt
20 blades fresh chives chopped for garnish

Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Saute onions 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce head to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste. Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.

OMG! Where are the leftovers???

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails