April 13, 2011

DIY Jewelry Storage For DIY Dummies





In my dream life I am very crafty.  I cut things and sew things, and every project I start turns out perfect from the conceptualizing phase to execution.  I patiently complete each step in its proper order feeling more and more inspired as the process goes on.  Speaking of the process, I artfully photograph all steps so that later I can quickly and easily throw up a tutorial on my perfectly designed website to show other creatively-challenged folks how they too can aspire to be as soft focused and perfect as I am. 

Oh wait that's right -- here at this blog, I document reality.

Since Garrett and I moved in together -- two years ago tomorrow, actually HEY-O-- he has been hounding me about getting my jewelry under control.  I have lots of necklaces and rings and earrings and bracelets and they usually end up falling out of the one random organizer that I have and this drives him bananas.  You would think we could put our two college educated heads together and come up with a solution fairly quickly.  But that is where you would think wrong.  After two years of deliberation and 3 consecutive weekends of looking at all the parts sitting on our kitchen table, we finally managed to get this up last weekend.  And we spent the subsequent days patting each other on the back like we had just finished the Sistine Chapel. 





Coupled with my old craptastic organizer that all the necklaces used to fall out of, it now fits all of my baubles perfectly.  Yes, I did just say baubles even though the bulk of my jewelry comes from the clearance rack at Target.  Cut me some slack.




 
The genesis of this idea came from Christina's post over at Style Lush.  She smartly planted the seed of using belt hooks to hang my necklaces.  When I first read it, I wasn't convinced it was exactly what I wanted to do.  Frankly, my dream jewelry organizer looks like this and I thought about doing that for a minute, but luckily I am competent enough to know my limitations.  Actually the truth is I showed that post to Garrett and said, "Hey, you're handy...what do you think about doing this?  Isn't that cute!"  And he looked at me like I was speaking French and said, "What am I supposed to shoot a moose and mount his antlers to help declutter our closet.  It's not even moose hunting season, I don't think."  We are city folk, what can I tell you?

Between my inability and his confusion, that idea died before we could even talk about procuring materials.  But the next time I went to Target I spied some belt hooks out of the corner of my eye, and lo and behold this necklace storage solution was created!  And by lo and behold I mean I told Garrett where I wanted it and he made it happen.  Overall I have to say I am very happy with it!  And aside from having to laugh at the same joke that every man tells when using a stud finder (Hey honey...look, I put it on my chest, and it FOUND A STUD!) the whole process was relatively painless.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Very nice! Although I am here to tell you I could make you that branch thingy in about two seconds. Next time I am walking around on the street and I find a good branch for it I will snag it for you.

Jessica said...

Looks great! When is Garrett going to come "make this happen" in my house?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails