January 03, 2007

2006: A Retrospective

What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Began a job as an underwriter

Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did set some goals this year that I acheived, and I will definitely be doing that again this year. I'll share some shortly.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my good friend Angela from childhood. How weird is that? We've known each other since WE were practically babies. Oddly enough though, it just seemed right. And what a cutie is Garrison!

Did anyone close to you die?
Yes.

What countries did you visit?
No countries -- although I did get to visit the great state of Iowa for 12 whole days, and frankly it felt like another country at times!

What would you like to have more of in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Routine. God, am I so boring??? Don't answer that.

What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 17th -- it was my first anniversary with Garrett...and I sure do like that boy.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting over at a new job and being successful at it. Previously I had spent 6 1/2 years at Peet's so it had been a long time since I had to acclimate to a new work environment.

What was your biggest failure?
For the first time in my adult life, staying in good health -- and boy was that scary!

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Two odd illnesses never before encountered -- in May I had migraines for 10 days. It was my own personal apocolypse. I also had a gnarly kidney infection in September that made me realize how grateful I am for those cute little organs when they work in a pain-free manner.

What was the best thing you bought?
Suits. How great is it to be able to wear nice clothes to work???

Where did most of your money go?
Debt. BOO!

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Grey's Anatomy. And that, my friends, is how you know I am exceptionally lame :)

What song will always remind you of 2006?
I am ashamed to admit this, but I think it will be anything by E-40

Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. I have a great job, time invested in a wonderful relationship, I'm more on track financially, and I had some really fun experiences.
b) thinner or fatter? Wow...I'm TOTALLY fatter. Awesome. I was just deducing this while getting dressed this morning and noting that all my pants have mysteriously become shorter...or, perhaps, have I become wider?? hmmm.
c) richer or poorer? Richer. Please note, however, that this is probably the only time you will hear me using the word "richer" in reference to myself.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Keeping myself physically healthier (ie: stressing less, exercising more)

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Getting all wound up! I realized this year -- in a somewhat epiphanous manner -- that I create stress in my life just to feel the release that the acheivement brings. I know, I'm wily like that

Did you fall in love in 2006?
Yes (Cue the sappy music)

What was your favorite TV program?
Barefoot Contessa, Project Runway, Grey's Anatomy

What was the best book you read?
How sad, I can't even remember.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins' Rabbit Fur Coat (and since I didn't actually procure that cd, I feel bad listing it as a "discovery" but I think since I discovered Rilo Kiley on my own I can at least take partial credit, yes?)

What did you want and get?
A feeling of contentment with my life. Really feeling comfortable with being a work in progress.

What did you want and not get?
A Le Crueset Dutch Oven. Trust me, I'll live. I'm content with my cookware being a work in progress as well.

What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't see too many that moved me, although I have to say that the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice which I re-watched this year, still holds as one of my favorite movies EVER. Seeing the Kiera Knightley version was a bit of a disappointment.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 this October, and I spent it eating the most delicious food at a restaurant called Latitudes with Garrett and seeing Little Miss Sunshine. Couldn't have been better.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It was satisfying.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
How about things that don't make me look like a pregnant heiffer...It was very Paris 86.

What kept you sane?
Who says I've been sane?

Which celebrity/public figure did you enjoy the most?
All of them. I love celeb trash!

Who was the best new person you met?
How about people? I continue to enjoy all of my new coworkers that were in my training unit. I was pretty lucky!

What is a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006?
That patience really is a virtue, that with commitment just about anything can be accomplished, and that sometimes you just need to bite your tongue.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails